Sometimes the month of December is filled with more things we have to do than things we want to do. Do you ever think that slowing down is just not an option for you this month? Or perhaps you feel like once the holidays are over, you'll have a long winter's nap til February?!
It's funny how the most wonderful time of the year is also the most stressful time. Is it possible to find a moment's peace? Since I don't want the holiday season to pass me by, I thought I'd put together a simple list to help us feel more centered and find some peace during the holidays.
- Have some alone time: This looks different for everyone depending on your stage in life. Shutting the bathroom door was my alone time when my kids were little. Now alone time looks like cuddling with my puppies. Wait, what?! Did you say you wanted a picture of them? Ok--here you go!!
Have I mentioned to you that I got another puppy?! Here are Rascal and his brother, Snoopy. Seriously, the best way for me to relax is snuggling these little guys!
- Unplug: put the phone away and turn off all sound around you. I'm most on edge when I've been on my phone too long or when the tv is just playing in the background.
- Go for a walk: we have had the nicest weather lately, although it's 33 degrees as I type this! Nothing helps clear your mind and calm you down like a nice walk.
- Sit quietly by your Christmas tree: every day I like to slow down with a hot cup of tea, snuggle up in a blanket, and just look at my Christmas tree.
- Read a good devotional: I've found several good devotionals to help my mind focus on Christmas and what it truly means to me. Every time I slow down to be still and read, I feel at peace and ready to take on the day.
- Journal what you're thankful for: the best way to combat anxiety, depression, and frustration, especially during the holidays, is to cultivate a heart of thanksgiving. Get a simple journal and start writing five things you're thankful for every day.
I know this time of year is full of activities--some fun and some obligatory. I hope you're able to slow down enough to enjoy the peace this season truly brings. Take some moments to refresh yourself so you can share that refreshment with others!
Until next time, peace and love to you!